Wynton Marsalis speaks about crap culture

One of my favorite pople speaks, and he usually speaks with insight and eloquence.

Pulitzer Prize-winning jazz musician Wynton Marsalis said that the racially charged and profanity-laced creations in rap and hip-hop are “more damaging” to the culture and to black Americans “than a statue of Robert E. Lee.” [story (caution: N-word)]

Amen, sir

If you’re not familiar with him and his works,
I’ll lend you one of the score of his CDs that I own.

60-Minutes profile
Classical
More clasical
Athletic classical
Über classical
Mood standard
Swing
New Orleans
Blues
etc.

(What? Yeah, now I feel better.)
____
Note: I only kibosh comments for using the actual N-word, mainly out of respect for my brothers-in-arms;
and I normally wouldn’t include a post including that word, unless the word itself is condemned, as it is here.

1. ZZMike
    Posted May 23, 2018 at 11:42 am |

He and his brother are at the top of the musical mountain. He’s recorded several pieces for 2, 3, 4 or more trumpets, where he plays all of them (not at the same time, though).

I wonder if it strikes anybody as odd that you can’t read the words (I ain’t gonna call them lyrics) over the radio without getting hammered by the FCC.

2. ZZMike
    Posted May 23, 2018 at 11:44 am |

PS: I think he did that Bumblebee thing without a pause for breath.

Posted May 23, 2018 at 1:41 pm |

Marsalis, in the pantheon of living musicians, is a gift to the world.

4. Daemon
    Posted May 23, 2018 at 5:39 pm |

Marsalis accused of sexual harassment in 3… 2… 1…

5. Posted May 23, 2018 at 7:12 pm |

Pushback is awesome.
    The more people who do it the more will do it.
    People are learning you don’t apologize afterward too. You keep pushing.
    I blame Trump.

Posted May 24, 2018 at 3:34 pm |

Marsalis in an interview with Morely Safer in 2009:
    “…We would be so much the better for it, we would make so much better decisions, if we knew what brings us together.”
    There’s a right-on slap at *spit*diversity*spit* if I ever heard one. The aim of diversity is just like its Latin root “to divide”, one of the Progs’ main tactics.
    Damn them for that.