twofer

Again, I can’t decide how to best handle the joke,
so you get your choice

Picked up by Pookie’s Toons

_____
Archives

In case you were wondering where the two updates went. They were moved down to the post below where they belonged. D’oh!
Everyone who has ever posted a comment on the wrong post will nod in understanding.

1. Jess
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 8:14 am |

Without any juicy secrets to leak, he’ll never be able to negotiate a higher salary from CNN.

2. DougM (μολὼν λαβέ)
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 8:20 am |

^ …or even keep his existing one

3. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 8:37 am |

I don’t even get what Brennan is after.

He says things like “no longer being allowed to know things that are completely illegal to discuss is about Free Speech” makes my head spin so badly I want to look away from him.

Is that his goal?

cornfuzzed

Posted August 17, 2018 at 8:53 am |

Unless they have an explicit job in the government,(which, they do not if their job is ended and a new boss is replacing them) it should be pulled immediately upon processing out—just like all those items that need to be signed off when turning in badges and stuff.

At least that is the way for us outside the beltway.
    No need to know, no need to have one.

How is this even a question after all these years. Or should we begin issuing short swords to administration officials when their outprocessing is complete and have the secretary trip them on the way out the door.

5. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 9:36 am |

Isn’t this the Brennan who surveilled Congressional staff? Then lied about it to Congress?

And Benghazi? And nondisclosure forms at a funeral?

And regular, heavily partisan frothing at the mouth on cable “nooz” channels?

so… stable individual, right?

6. DougM (μολὼν λαβέ)
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 9:57 am |

Claire ^3
    The issue is not the issue.
    The revolution is the issue.

Mech ^4
    Yep, retiring after four years inside the Beltway, I had to sign off on termination of clearances as well as a NDA (incl. published work to be pre-approved, etc.). Of course, I was just a peasant.

7. Veeshir
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 10:57 am |

It’s pretty telling that they’re saying cutting off his security clearance is a Free Speech Issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other words, he doesn’t get to selectively leak classified data anymore.

Leaking to hurt Dems is bad so… Wikileaks bad.
    Leaking to hurt America when Trump and the GOP are in charge is good so…. lying liars who leak because they hate me are Good.

To steal a line, we live in a deeply stupid time.

8. OldFert
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 3:23 pm |

Having a clearance without need-to-know…how does that impinge on free speech?

Even keeping his clearance, he isn’t supposed to have any access, so no “new” classified information should come into his possession.

What’s in his head wasn’t erased by being debriefed, nor by having his clearance revoked. Blabbing it while retaining his clearance or after he lost it is just as wrong and illegal.

What the heck is this discussion about? Is this just a binder full of women? A rock with a bad word on it in the middle of the desert that isn’t there any more? Have these critics no shame, no honor?

Waitaminnit. Let me rephrase that last one: These critics have no shame and no honor.

9. logdogsmith
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 9:37 pm |

Clearances and access to Govt secretshit is a multiple faceted thing. I haven’t seen source data that uses the proper terms to determine what Brennan’s post govt employment clearance and access to secretshit was.

At Brennan’s level, I could see him retaining his clearance and maybe some level of access under the same process that grants clearances and access to secretshit for contractors. It is reasonable to consider Brennan a contractor level consultant.

Of course, he could probably find plenty of secretshit on a server installed in a bathroom.

10. rickn8or
    Posted August 17, 2018 at 10:21 pm |

I would argue that having a security clearance and access to Govt secretshit is pretty stifling to your First Amendment rights also.

11. MikeAZ
    Posted August 18, 2018 at 5:36 am |

I still remember the “de-brief” I went through when I left the military in the mid 70s, and my clearance was limited to medical records and occasional access to secure areas to ply my trade as a Medic. My clearance disappeared the last time I passed out through the main gate.