stuff that’s hard to do (Opportunity’s journey ends)

Fourteen years duty on a 90-day mission.
Not bad. Not bad at all.

_____
Story & pics

My batteries are low, and it’s getting dark.
*sniff*
Someday, this will probably happen to a human, too.

(my favorite)
_____
Cultural ref

1. jlw
    Posted February 14, 2019 at 5:21 pm |

Opportunity did good.

Spirit did ok, too.

2. DougM (a 20th-Century guy)
    Posted February 14, 2019 at 6:20 pm |

^ Good point.
    Offhand, I’m gonna rate this entire program a spectacular success.
    It’s probably why Earthlings are contemplating manned missions there way more seriously than, say, a decade ago.

3. Dave
    Posted February 14, 2019 at 6:28 pm |

Lest we forget, the Minnow was on a 3 hour tour.

Posted February 14, 2019 at 10:03 pm |

I think that program and its results are right up there with the SR-71 program – a knock your socks off engineering success.

5. MikeAZ
    Posted February 16, 2019 at 5:15 am |

It will probably be past my time when it happens, but someday, some intrepid explorer team finally sent to Mars will come across the dusty Opportunity machine. They will brush the accumulated dust off the solar panels, give it some time to recharge old batteries, and watch with satisfied smiles as this little wanderer heads off to continue exploring the Martian horizons.

The Opportunity team, from the planners, to the builders, to the technicians, to the researchers, hell, to the janitors who dumped the trash and cleaned the bathrooms during this epic saga, all deserve congratulations for their efforts. This is one of very few times when the American Taxpayer got their money’s worth.

6. rickn8or
    Posted February 17, 2019 at 12:16 pm |

MikeAZ, to think Opportunity could be fixed with a set of jumper cables. I recommend sending them, along with my ex. She likes starting shit…

7. Cleve Watson
    Posted February 18, 2019 at 9:33 pm |

Well, crap, that’s one of my favorite movie quotes (Roy from Blade Runner) but it sure fits. I monitored the Rover mission almost daily from long before the launches, through Spirit’s eventual demise, and now Opportunity’s forever sleep. What an incredible achievement!!! And I can still check in to weekly status reports from Voyager 1 and 2 – still transmitting useful data after 41+ years in space. I’m grateful to be alive at such a time to experience and appreciate this kind of exploration.