stuff that’s hard to do (3d launch/landing of this Stg-1 with private Israeli moon lander)

Stg-2 sep 20m30s
Fairing sep 21m30s
Stg-1 re-entry burn 24m15s
Stg-1 landing burn 26m25s
Payload-1 sep 51m15s (mostly hidden)
Payload-2 1h01m30s
_____
Story (Moon-lander)

Also, yesterday: Japan’s spacecraft, Hayabusa-2, touched down on asteroid Ryugu to take a sample for return to Earth
jlw comment

Also, also, yesterday: Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo made another flight above 50mi with its first “passenger”

1. Heltau
    Posted February 21, 2019 at 11:03 pm |

NASA would have killed for these kinds of videos in the 60′s and 70′s.

2. jlw
    Posted February 22, 2019 at 6:26 am |

also hard to do:

“Hayabusa-2: Japan spacecraft touches down on asteroid”

if you ignore the politicians and haters, there is lots of good stuff going on in the world today. or at least out of this world.

3. Thunderbottom
    Posted February 22, 2019 at 6:06 pm |

“Private enterprise can never lead a space frontier. It’s not possible because a space frontier is expensive, it has unknown risks and it has unquantified risks.”
    — Neil deGrasse Tyson

Uh-huh. So-o-o-o-o, Dr, Tyson, what’s NASA been up to since they’ve retired the Space Shuttle? (I’m sure DougM can enlighten me). If the DimSocs with B.S. in charge ever take charge, we can forget about ever going into space while the Chinese charge ahead.

4. Veeshir
    Posted February 22, 2019 at 7:53 pm |

I saw that movie. While it had a happy ending, I’m not sure I want to be in it.

5. Posted February 23, 2019 at 10:00 am |

Heltau – in any decade since their beginning!

And there are people who say the US has no space program. Pffff. (Looking at you, NdGT)

6. Paul
    Posted February 25, 2019 at 8:04 am |

Bang, bang, shoot ‘em up destiny (bang, bang)
    Bang, bang, shoot ‘em up to the moon (bang, bang)
    Bang, bang, shoot ‘em up one, two, three (one, two, three, four)

I wanted to be a spaceman, that’s what I wanted to be
    But now that I am a spaceman
    Nobody cares about me
    Hey, Mother Earth, won’t'cha bring me back down safely to the sea?
    Around and around and around and around is all she ever say to me