stuff that’s hard to do (Falcon-9 Crew Dragon Demo-1)

First launch of the Crew Dragon capsule,
but it’s unmanned for this first flight.
Includes Stg-1 landing on drone ship.

Spectacular full-screen vid
with a snazzy new graphic for the mission event timeline

Fixed start time to T-30s

Crew Dragon docking with ISS
jlw comment beat me to it

Remind you of anything?

Hatch opening

1. Chris in NC
    Posted March 2, 2019 at 9:54 pm |

The fact that they hit that thing in the circle just amazes me. Absolutely incredible

2. jlw
    Posted March 3, 2019 at 6:12 am |

and a successful docking

3. DougM (a 20th-Century guy)
    Posted March 3, 2019 at 2:26 pm |

^ Thanks!
    I totally forgot to do an update.

4. Thunderbottom
    Posted March 3, 2019 at 4:40 pm |

A week or so ago, I made a comment about Dr. Neal DeGrasse-Tyson’s comment that only government could handle a project as big as the space program. Well, I found a site that lists ten companies that sent America to the moon. NASA may have been in charge, but without those companies (and all their subcontractors), the USSR probably would have put a man on the moon before us. Right now, companies like SpaceEx and Blue Origin are presently driving US efforts into space.

5. max
    Posted March 3, 2019 at 5:05 pm |

That was quite amazing. Crew Dragon will remain docked for the next five days. Here’s hoping for a successful reentry and recovery of the capsule!

6. MikeAZ
    Posted March 4, 2019 at 5:51 am |

I just finished watching that amazing video and turned on my music randomizer. First piece was “the Blue Danube.” Truth.

7. Posted March 5, 2019 at 2:58 am |

Listening to the voices on the video: young. The faces: young. My face: old, hopeful and smiling. Conclusion: apparently, not everyone has been glued to a Playstation over the past couple of decades; somebody’s been hitting the books.

8. Heltau
    Posted March 5, 2019 at 6:36 pm |

So who is that sitting in the chair with the space suit on?
    What is that blue toy doing floating around in there too?

9. DougM (a 20th-Century guy)
    Posted March 5, 2019 at 7:45 pm |

^ Good questions.
    The space suit houses an instrumented dummy named Ripley.
    The green ball is a fuzzy Earth globe toy to watch g-loading/unloading effects.