ToDaZeD Haitifornia *facepalm*

POWER PLAY

Life as a Prole in the NationState of Haiti-fornia — Day 1

We light our flamey thingsTM-DM to honor our new Masters of Competence:

8:06am:
Power turned off for 880,000 customers between 1-3am
Winds: Dead. f’n. Calm. 47 degrees. Humidity 52%
Majority of entire towns shut down and dark.

Happy Second Anniversary of the Big Fires!

What benediction is possible for soot-faced proles shunned by God and man?
- random quotes from da innarToobs – which is still up on cellular!!!

Developing…

1. rickn8or
    Posted October 9, 2019 at 8:32 am |

I take comfort in knowing this is might be an epiphany for my Lefty Bay-Area daughter-in-law and my complacent son.

2. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am |

Fingers crossed^^^

3. DougM (speak three names)
    Posted October 9, 2019 at 9:32 am |

Claire,
    I’ll run my emergency generator today in solidarity.

Okay, so it automatically runs itself for 10-min every Wed afternoon.
    Well, ever since I remembered to fill the propane tank, anyway

4. Posted October 9, 2019 at 1:09 pm |

I don’t understand.

Why would they turn off the power if it isn’t windy?

Secondly, do they turn the power off to the state every day of the year that it DOES get windy?

5. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted October 9, 2019 at 1:49 pm |

DM- I feels ya homey! [oooo, propane faaancy]

Holger – “Why would they turn off the power if it isn’t windy?
    It’s a political play – like many [most?] famines and other like disasters – a POWER PLAY, if you will.

Wait til we see what they want from us!
    Meanwhile, I’m walking around town – the parts that are open, anyway – proclaiming my enjoyment of PG&E’s Second Anniversary [of the Big Fires] Present.
    Gets a laff every time; followed by a coupla rude descriptive terms.

6. DougM (speak three names)
    Posted October 9, 2019 at 6:20 pm |

^ Propane also feeds the fireplace gas logs for emergency heat in front of the fold-out couch, so I’m all set unless cable goes down

7. Blake
    Posted October 9, 2019 at 6:33 pm |

My wife and I, originally, were not going to be affected by the power outage.

That is no longer true so I spent the morning chasing down a generator, fuel stabilizer and gas cans. By the way, CA gas cans appear to be designed to hold fuel but not dispense said fuel.

Posted October 9, 2019 at 7:10 pm |

^By the way, CA gas cans appear to be designed to hold fuel but not dispense said fuel.

I got sick and tired of waiting for the trickle from the super trick nozzles of Kalifornia Kompliant gas cans, aching arms and the dribbles and spills that ate up my asphalt driveway.
    I went shopping on eBay .
    I now own 6 old time 5 gallon pre-ban Blitz vented red plastic cans with a rigid nozzle (the flex kind always flip and pop out of the gas tank). The stiff nozzle helps me support the can while pouring too. They are a joy to use – no spills, flow fast, seal tight when not in use.
    Every August (right before hurricane season), I ride about 40 miles out in the country where I get non-ethanol gas, fill all the cans, treat them with Stabil, and have used them over the past six or seven years to power my lawn equipment and my generator for storm and ice power outages. The following August, I feed the gas into my cars and refill with fresh gas.

9. Blake
    Posted October 9, 2019 at 7:13 pm |

^I’m going to explore drilling a well-placed hole in these cans and figure out a way to plug the hole when not in use. Maybe I can find some petroleum proof tape of some sort.

Or, I’ll drill into the handle and figure out some sort of slip device for covering and uncovering the hole.

Either way, this shall not stand.

10. DougM (speak three names)
    Posted October 9, 2019 at 7:57 pm |

^&^^
    Funny you should mention that.
    Yesterday, I watched two YouTube vids on fixing the new gas cans.
    Sorry I don’t know the links, but they shouldn’t be hard to find

11. DougM (speak three names)
    Posted October 9, 2019 at 11:59 pm |

Just read a fun thread on Twitchy about Newsom’s push for electric cars (3..2..1..) in the middle of the power cut-off

12. Blake
    Posted October 10, 2019 at 5:56 am |

^That twitter thread was fun. Thanks, I needed the laugh.

13. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted October 10, 2019 at 3:54 pm |

Blake @7- you found one??!? A pal was looking and said they’re out clear to Reno. Well done! [yes, CA cans dispense gas; but only onto your boot.]. Tractor Supply might still sell a “fix-it kit” for ‘em.

oh, and gas is $4.09-.29/gallon cuz they’re changing over from the CA mandated summer blend to the CA mandated winter blend [both of which pollute more than the standard wherever blend everyone else uses. Haiti-fornia Ho Ho.]

It’ll be back down in a coupla weeks. Anyone know the over/under of before/after the power comes back on?