The tobacco jar is half empty

Shallow-thinking Monday
Tonight: Mankind vs Nature,
as illuminated by the trivial

_____
Yes, pipe tobacco. My vices are sooo old-school and inexpensive

Posted October 22, 2019 at 7:06 am |

I do the same thing with the toothpaste, and while I’ve succeeded in adding a bit to the brush, I’ve never been able to get excess back in the tube. Being a thrifty fellow, I’ve thought about a temporary storage container so the overage doesn’t dry out before reuse, but on second thought, a device to issue the paste more accurately might be the wiser path. After all, a tube of toothpaste costs about $2 and only lasts about 6 – 8 months, so the savings would amortize the gadget over about 200 years. I might have to go for it.

2. accipiterNW
    Posted October 22, 2019 at 8:21 am |

I pour all my beer into the glass and even wait for that ‘last drop’ to come out, set the bottle down and then if I come back a minute later there’s always another 10-15 drops to come out.

Posted October 22, 2019 at 8:25 am |

I just scoop into the pouch and tamp it down carefully. If I smoked the pipe more often, I would get the system more quickly conserving butane. Or matches now since the lighter died.

Ever notice that strike anywhere matches are amazingly hard to find?

4. TheBigHarry
    Posted October 22, 2019 at 9:40 am |

To quote George Carlin – “Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.I see a glass that’s twice as big as it needs to be.”

I’d suggest using two half-sized jars but considering how that could eliminate a ritualistic occasion to contemplate the nature of the universe, it may not be worth it.

On the other hand, if you enjoy fresh tobacco the way I enjoy non-oxidized coffee, 16 oz Ball Amber wide-mouth Mason jars and a vacuum lid sealer may be the way to go.

5. DougM (speak three names)
    Posted October 22, 2019 at 11:50 am |

^all^
    Thanks, but it’s not really a problem in need of a fix.
    Technology merely masks the fundamental point that Nature is a heartless so-and-so in even the most trivial things;
    so much so, that sometimes I’m tempted to take it personally;
    but I’m pretty sure that path leads to madness.

6. MikeAZ
    Posted October 23, 2019 at 7:47 am |

My dad was a pipe smoker, and he took great pleasure in it. He had his pouch with him at all times. There were cans and tins of his favorite tobacco all through the house.

One day, one of his children was eating popcorn in his La-Z-Boy. There were a few unpopped kernels in the bottom of the bowl which got disposed of in what was usually a mostly empty humidor. What I didn’t know at the time, Dad had gone back to using that humidor as one of his primary filling stations.

Picture what happens when a popcorn kernel reaches it’s maximum internal pressure in the bowl of a Kaywoodie pipe.

I remember sifting through the rest of his tobacco, looking for the rest of the popcorn.