ToDaZeD WetBat™ WTF

c’mooooon

Apparently one of he side effects of this virus is to make people behave like a-holes.

“What the World Health Organization [WHO] and the CDC [The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] have reaffirmed in the last few days is that they do not recommend the general public wear masks.”

I wonder why they would say that, since a sneeze can spread droplets [eww] up to 26 feet [and beyond] at 100 mph*, and hang in the air for …well, longer than it took me to lose that article I won’t quote now. [but it's 2 hours +]

Here’s one answer from U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams:

“On an individual level, there was a study in 2015 looking at medical students and medical students wearing surgical masks touch their face on average 23 times,” [like regular people]

“We know a major way that you can get respiratory diseases like coronavirus is by touching a surface and then touching your face so wearing a mask improperly can actually increase your risk of getting disease.”

That’s some dang twisted logyk, there, son. …Unless whatcher sayin’ is we here in the non-medical world are too stupid to use masks? Yer telling me that – even if masks are worn improperly – an imperfect reduction of the amount of airborne virus taken in is more dangerous?

The initial dose of virus and the amount of virus an individual has at any one time might worsen the severity of COVID 19 disease.

hm…

…Adams went on to say that wearing a face mask “can also give you a false sense of security.” … “you see many of these pictures with people out and about closer than six feet to each other, but still wearing a mask.”

Again: 2 stoopud + any imperfect improvement is …what, now?

Dr. K.K. Cheng, director of the Institute of Applied Health Research at the University of Birmingham in the U.K.

…”The important thing about this coronavirus is that some patients start to shed virus, and become infectious, even before they have symptoms,”

the elusive George Gao, head of China’s Centre for Disease Control and Prevention [FWIW:

"You've got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth. Many people have asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic infections. If they are wearing face masks, it can prevent droplets that carry the virus from escaping and infecting others."

Butttt, if they've all been taken off the Free Market by Chairman 'Winnie the WetBat' Xi, not so much.

oh, wait. Here we go:

“We still have PPE [Personal protective equipment] shortages across the country,” Adams noted.

There ain’t no masks available for the likes of us to wear, however improperly. Because a] no one thought to restock the CDC supply post swine flu and 2] they’re all made in Chiner, now [*stupid*stupid*stupid*], and Chairman ‘BatSnax’ Xi confiscated them all for himself. After which he threatened to confiscate all the prescription meds we — in our high demand for cheap and our high ignorance of quick & dirty — manufacture there, too [*stupid*stupid*stupid*stupid*stupid*].

[Adams, again:] “The WHO mentioned this in their statement so we want to make sure we are reserving PPE for the people who most need it. That’s how you are going to get the largest effect because if healthcare workers get sick, they can’t take care of you when you get sick.”

I believe I could have grasped that concept without the condecention, thankyouverymuch.

Oh, the other thing that was new [to me, at least] is the idea that them germs can linger on your shoes. [oh, yeah *duh*]. So leave those store-shoes outside when ya come home.

Change your shoes; change save your life!
–Cinderella

All Together Now! »

1. jlw
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 12:27 pm |

well, Claire, as long as you know all about everything, i got a question for you.

How are you disposing of all of those masks? just throw ‘em in the trash? or are you actually treating them as medical waste?

i know that i don’t have a right to an opinion. medical school, 5 year residency, 20 years spent wearing said mask means nothing, i know, not compared to your know it all rants.

i certainly haven’t decided for myself whether they are beneficial. work from Japan says yes, other work, WHO and CDC, says no.

but the disposal bothers me. toss ‘em in the trash so that your trash hauler (and perhaps your family) gets infected and the local dump becomes a long term focus of infection?

or treat said items as medical waste, which really isn’t all that easy, and ends in incineration.

inquiring minds want to know.

i assume that i will no longer be welcome here after this post.

2. DougM ☞crotchety and judgmental☜
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 1:36 pm |

One should probably assume that everything is contaminated by now.

A grocery store is probably one of the most dangerous places to be, but y’gotta eat. It’s like a watering hole on the savanna; an oribi’s gotta drink, leopards* notwithstanding.

Fortunately, the population’s death rate from the virus is low in pandemic terms (although it’s either 0 or 100% for an individual), so being lucky to survive long enough for medical science to win (vaccine/cure) is the real solution.

(What? Darwin? Woo, nah, that’s way too long-term to suit me)
    _____
    * Dunno if leopards and oribi share habitat — might be cheetah — but you get my meaning
    Scientific explanation (well, it’s biology, so not in my wheelhouse)

3. Nomen Nescio
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 2:44 pm |

^^ jlw, just curious, do you treat kleenex like medical waste? Do we have a larger problem than the safe disposal of used N95 masks?

4. Veeshir
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 2:57 pm |

Is the mask to protect the user or is it to contain contaminating particles so as to protect others from the user?
    I will take one anecdote like Japan over 50 studies from the mission creeps at CDC and the UNiks at WHO (subsidiary of whoever is bribing them that week).

I might be confused about masks, but I did learn not to lick shoes.

5. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 4:02 pm |

Sorry, jlw@1 — I didn’t mean to come off as Miss Know It All. Being subject to the same stress as everyone else, I may have become too cranky.

My point was that if we have too few masks [and we do] and they must be reserved for use by medical personnel [which they must] maybe the SG ought to just say so outright and not lead us ’round the mullberry bush with convoluted ‘explanations.’ One of his jobs is to instill trust in the office he occupies: this approach ain’t accomplishing that.

And maybe what will come out of this is a mechanism to ensure the bureaucrats re-fill the *In Case of Emergency* stockpiles and the rest of us decide that dependence on any country not our own ain’t such a good idea.

As to your question… I had never thought of that. Now you mention it, it seems obvious. Like the shoe thing.

Although I’m just a smarty pants who writes on a blog, I wonder why no one else is talking about it — or, rather if they will when there are enough masks for regular citizens to wear them as they do in S.Korea/Japan etc?

I know medical waste is more expensive to deal with than regular waste. I read several differing estimates on how long the virus is viable and infectious on different surfaces. I wonder what might be done to contain the virus it is no longer viable and the masks turn into regular waste — or if that’s even possible?

Put us some knowledge if you would?

Until then, I’d love to offer some pretty words of encouragement but I lack those as well. I do appreciate that doctoring is difficult on a normal random Tuesday: I cannot even imagine what it must be like now. I respect your dedication.

…and don’t assume anything
    ; >

6. DougM ☞crotchety and judgmental☜
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 4:58 pm |

Claire,
    Isn’t WetBat™ kind’a, you know, racist?
    I mean, geeze, it sounds an awful lot like ‘wetback ‘
    (which, I just learned in the Mexican-food aisle, evidently is)

7. Claire: rebellious pink pig with car keys - and a *cause*
    Posted March 31, 2020 at 9:18 pm |

DM@6–
    oh, it’s all too much for me to keep up with…

8. OldFert
    Posted April 1, 2020 at 4:51 pm |

The Prez suggests scarves. Those’ll help at least with the outgoing (and some of the incoming, I guess).

As far as cotton fabric surgical-type masks, I’d guess we’d just machine wash them in hot water, with bleach.

9. Lord of the Fleas
    Posted April 1, 2020 at 5:02 pm |

Claire: I thought you might find this Twitter thread to be interesting. The ending is not something I would have expected.

(And for those who don’t know, the author is using a pseudonym – his real name is Thomas Wictor.)

10. Drew458
    Posted April 2, 2020 at 5:56 am |

I am already seeing plenty of people wearing DIY facial protection, from bandanas to gas masks. If you wear a cloth mask, or even pull your t-shirt up over your nose and breath through that for a few minutes, it gets damp. That shows how much moisture you’re exhaling. Since none of us really know if we’re infected, all that moisture – water droplets – could be carrying virus from your lungs and throat. So cover your face for everyone’s benefit.

I can guarantee that a simple cloth barrier is not going to catch all airborne virus bits, but it will slow things down. Better something than nothing.

I’m really starting to feel that the WHO and CDC are not acting in my best interest. Nor are various governors or petty bureaucrats. Time for a purge.

11. Posted April 2, 2020 at 8:31 am |

Not a scientist. don’t know any scientists. Would probably move away from a scientist if I recognized one in my local tavern.

Having said that, while incineration of masks and used tissues and other PPE items might be the best solution, wouldn’t the naturally occurring heat rise in a landfill be enough to destroy any viruses that might be on the contaminated items?

Being naturally skeptical, there is little I believe from the press releases from any source. Masks are good, masks are bad, they work for medical professionals, but not for grunts like us. Old folks are vulnerable, but young folks are getting sick. And the disease is the cause, but victim seems to have had “underlying medical conditions.”

All I know for sure is that sheltering in place is no different than being retired, really. You stay home unless you need groceries, for instance, but there’s not much more out there to buy than there was three weeks ago. The doctors who told you that all those appointments were extremely necessary are now calling to say they don’t need to see you for six months. Family members who were reluctant to visit before now have a fine excuse not to stop by, because they don’t want to contaminate you.

We’ve been “sheltering” since the 11th of March, and the best I can come up with from all this is that maybe 8:00 a.m. isn’t too early to start drinking.

12. DougM ☞crotchety and judgmental☜
    Posted April 2, 2020 at 10:21 am |

Mike ^

8:00 a.m. isn’t too early to start drinking

…it’s just too early to get up

Wait, not ‘drinking’
    Applying hand-sanitizer to one’s throat

13. Posted April 2, 2020 at 11:49 am |

Doug^

Worked the night shifts pretty much all my adult life (bosses don’t work nights.) Rising at two a.m. for me is sleeping in.

Posted April 2, 2020 at 1:57 pm |

Thanks LotF ^9
    I thought so and find it good to read him again.

The virus should die after a week or two with no dna to replicate itself in.

An easy solution is a trash bag with a little bleach in it and a lid till you seal it for the landfill. The bleach vapor will work nicely and cheap.

Posted April 2, 2020 at 1:59 pm |

^^Not dna–-live cells to replicate in.

16. Max
    Posted April 5, 2020 at 1:55 pm |

Here in the Pacific Northwest, there’s a company that’s come up with a way to sterilize surgical masks for re-use. They package them up after inspection and send them not only locally, but to other facilities around the country.